Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Crashing Application Greeter

I was playing around with themes and the like in Hardy Heron recently, and I ended up selecting a new login screen. Apparently, something was wrong with the one I installed, however, since the next time I went to login, I was presented with a black screen and the message "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one." Hitting Ok on this merely cycled through X starting up and led to the same message.

To fix this, I went into another tty with Alt + F2, logged in, and ran "sudo vim /etc/gdm/gdm.conf". I commented out the line "Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter" and added "Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmlogin". After restarting, a simple Gnome login screen appeared fine, which allowed me to get in and change the login screen to a know safe default.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan L said...

Thanks! I was looking for help with this error message. I upgraded to Hardy from Feisty and got this error message on reboot after the dist upgrade.

Some posts say this is due to a full disk but mine wasn't full and your solution fixed it right away.

I hope this is helpful to others.

August 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger by Immortal Curiosity said...

Awesome! Glad it helped:-)

I'd really like a prettier greeter, but messing with something that can lead to me not being able to login is a bit more risk than is worth it right now.

August 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home