Saturday, April 7, 2007

NTFS Read AND Write Access in Ubuntu, is Easy

Write access to NTFS type HDDs was a little sketchy for some time in linux. This is a big problem for people like me that dual boot linux and Windows. Now, it is not only reliable, but extremely easy. This howto has all the steps you will need to take. Basically, I just added a line to my sources list, updated my system, ran the config, checked a box in the interface, and that was it.

One extra step I had to take was to boot into Windows, shut down fully, then go into Ubuntu and run the config. This was necessitated because my last Windows shutdown was not clean. This was caused by yet another ridiculous Windows error that impelled me to shut down via the power button instead of the ever-cheerful Start button.

After taking such simple steps, I decided to test write access out. I decided the best choice was to make a file on the Desktop of my Windows user called "Linux_Made_This.txt" containing:
"HAHAHAHHA
You have no chance to survive make your time."

Of course, you may find your own way to test as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger by Immortal Curiosity said...

I found that one day, I was unable to see my NTFS drives any more. I checked all the FAQs and forums, and no one had a similar problem. All of the entries ntfs-config made in /etc/fstab were all still present. As a last resort, I ran "sudo ntfs-config" again, and unchecked the option to mount internal drives. Suddenly, I could browse and access files on my NTFS drives... This makes no sense, and I have been unable to track it down yet, but in case any one else has this problem, try it.

April 14, 2007 at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home